Do you think you may struggle with Gastric Reflux? There are many warning signs that you can look for to intervene early. This can be a very sneaky problem, and many people do not even realize that they are suffering from the condition.
- GERD stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease
- This is a condition in which the sphincter (or little doorway) that opens to let food into your stomach, but closes to prevent the stomach acid from returning back the wrong direction, is malfunctioning.
- The stomach acid that regurgitates is very harmful to tissues other than the tissues in the stomach where it is designed to be!
Potential Warning Signs of GERD:
- Bad taste in you mouth/Bad Breath
- Sensitive teeth/Erosion/Chipping of Teeth
- Discomfort after spicy foods
- Burning sensation in mouth/Throat
- Unexplained increase in Cavities
- Grinding teeth in your sleep
Why GERD is so Damaging:
- Chronic cases can lead to a form of Esophageal Cancer
- Can cause tooth sensitivity
- Can damage the enamel of teeth
- Can lead to increased cavities
- Can lead to wear on teeth
- Might cause nighttime grinding habits
We can help in the diagnosing process! There are many oral manifestations that we can help look for. Please discuss any concern that you might have with us and let us help you get the medical referral you need. We can also do many things to help prevent or even reverse the damage to your teeth. Early intervention is key to preventing long-term irreversible damage, so please use us as a resource and discuss this with us if you think you might have any of the warning signs!
Check out this Fact Sheet about Gastric Reflux.
If you really want to geek out check out this case report on dental erosion secondary to GERD.